Sunday, April 11, 2010

Homosexuality and Prom attendance...

Opinion Blog in reply to article listed in link below:

I was reading a news article recently about a Lesbian girl who wanted to dress in a tuxedo and bring her girlfriend to prom. The school had banned homosexual dates to prom in the past but she was hoping to become the exception. She was denied and then the ACLU sent a demand letter. So the school cancelled the prom. The ACLU then sued and the Judge said that the school had violated her First Amendment rights. Ok, fine I can live with that. The judge didn't penalize the school district for denying her with the understand that there would be a private dance held at
Fulton Country Club. She was approved for that.

She arrived and only seven classmates were there. I agree that could very well be devastating. Supposedly there was another event held in the county. Perhaps someone decided to throw their own prom. A student had even been quoted as saying that other parties were in the works.

Now the ACLU is still investigating why there was so few people at the dance at the Fulton Country Club. The ACLU will no doubt attempt to find any and every explanation to blame the School District for so few people attending this private dance. I question their motives. My mind is filled with doubt about actually trying to promote people's liberty. More like squash the liberty of either the majority or others who have different thoughts and opinions.

Students are not, and were not, required to attend the prom at the country club. Students will never be required to attend any prom, anywhere.

What may have Crossed Students Minds (in italics)
I think the students of the high school, and quite possibly the county, said look I don't want to attend this private dance. Since my prom was cancelled because of this situation I am going to throw my own party. They may have even thought, I don't want this girl at my party, so I won't invite her.

Constance McMillen talks about her fight for tolerance on several prominent shows. Great. Fight for tolerance, fight for equity, but if I don't want to be at a private dance with you and your girlfriend I won't. I respect you and your decisions but you got my original prom cancelled.

I believe it very well could have been a silent, perhaps unintentional, boycott of the ACLU and this girl, Constance McMillen. She demands tolerance...ok, fine demand away, but I have no respect for those who demand. I am more likely to ignore you and what you have to say if you come to demand things from me.

You want to talk about it. great. You want an amiable solution. fine. You want tolerance. I'm willing to be tolerant. But if you want to come in and talk about your rights and how I must give them to you, I will ask you politely to leave. I have my rights. I have the right to not have anything demanded of me by you. By demanding you are infringing my rights. I believe homosexuality, illegal drugs, and drinking alcohol are at least wrong and at worst they are all sinful. Do I force those beliefs on you? No. But your ACLU and gay activist groups believe that I should let you do want you want when you want, because you want.

My ancestors were walked barefoot leaving bloodied footprints in the snow, they were driven out of their families, homes, and countries. I respect tolerance but they did not demand and fight. They pursued their options...options that were denied. They were denied every legal recourse. Eventually they built their own city away from everyone. It was burned and destroyed because of intolerance. And still today I face many of the same prejudices.

So count your stars that you have a more tolerant society then you did back then. You want resolution then change the constitution and the laws. Until then quite suing everyone that doesn't agree with you and took action that was within their rights and liberties.

2 comments:

  1. This was more of a rant then a proper blog but I am just infuriated by the suggestions of the ACLU's actions. I want to also remind I am not attacking any person. Just their actions. If the girl in this article wants to be lesbian, then let her be lesbian.

    ReplyDelete